More about this tour
Actun Tunichil Muknal (ATM) a cave of ancient wonders hidden in the Tapir Mountain Nature Reserve seven miles from the main highway at the village of Teakettle in the Cayo District. This is one of the most fascinating cave adventure Belize has to offer, Actun Tunichil Muknal means the “Cave of the Stone Sepulcher” named after the skeletal remains of a Mayan Princess which was discovered in one of the chambers. This tour is a one hour drive from San Ignacio, once you arrive at the destination your guide will give you your helmet and head light for the tour.
Your adventure begins with a hike through a Jungle trail where you will cross the river three times while enjoying an abundance of flora and fauna as the cave is within a National Park. The entrance to the cave has a natural formation of an hour glass where you’ll swim in the clear cool and refreshing water. To enter the cave you will swim a few feet, and the remaining part of the tour is hiking, squeezing through rocks, and exploring the cave. This tour requires a level of physical fitness and is the most thrilling cave exploration experience in Belize!
Your guide will take you into” Xibalba” the Mayan Hell or the Mayan Underworld. Numerous ceramics and skeletal remains that you will see inside this cave are normally only seen in museums, but here you have a first-hand experience of seeing these artifacts and remains. This tour is an adventure of a life time making it very unique and one of the most popular tours in the Cayo Area and in the Country of Belize.
Notes for ATM CAVE Adventure:
- Absolutely NO Cameras are allowed inside the cave
- 1.5 hours Away From Belize City
- Minimum Age: 5 years
- Extra Pair of socks MUST be brought along for this tour
- Must be in good physical shape to do this tour
- Any Special requests needed let us know and we will be happy to accommodate
- Tour departs from Belize City, Unless for a Private tour then we will be picking you up at your specified location
- Groups of 5 and above contact us for a group rate price
- Pick up location: Cruise Guest will be meet at the cruise port and will return to the cruise port with plenty of time before your last tender leaves
- Overnight Guest staying in Belize City, will be picked up at their Hotel, if you’re staying on the Cayes, the meeting point will be the Water taxi or the Municipal Air Strip in Belize City
- Contact us if the is pick up outside of Belize City area.
***NOTE :This tour is exclusively for overnight guests.
- Belize City Tour
- Countryside Tour
- Lunch (Vegetarian and Non Vegetarian)
- Park Fees
- Personal Guide