Lamanai Maya Ruins & River Safari
Looking for a tour that combines both History and Adventure? Lamanai Mayan temple is such a tour, tucked away inside the rain forest on the New River Lagoon. Getting to this Ancient City is a tour all by itself; the tour initially departs from Belize City, Journeying 49 miles to the north of the country to the district of Orange Walk; where you will experience a mix culture of, Mennonites, Mestizos, creole all living harmoniously together like the ancient natives of this soil the Mayan Indians. Along this 49 mile Van ride, experience the local communities while your guide gives you the history of your surroundings.
This journey will last for approximately an hour, once at the boat docks restrooms will be available before boarding the boat for the second part of the adventure. Now we will be cruising along the new river for 25 miles looking at the rich flora and fauna in their natural habitat. A wide species of birds, plants, orchids and wildlife that was essential to natives for trade and medicinal uses and still being practiced by this new generation. Arriving at the site, start your experience with a delicious homemade Belizean lunch. Then gear up for your hike through the sub- tropical rainforest, as you look through the lush greenery for wildlife such as, birds and the sight or sound of the protected black howler monkeys in the canopy of trees; as you burst out into great plazas with magnificent monumental structures like the jaguar temple, dedicated to one of the most powerful gods of the Mayas, relax under the shaded tree canopy and enjoy a metropolitan state that survived for over 1500 years up until the arrival of the Europeans in the late 15th and 16th century, when this great city came to a final collapse. In this great city you will be exploring four Major temples including the royal complex and the Ball court area. After seeing this magnificent site we will be making our way back to the starting point.
Notes for Lamanai Mayan Temples:
- Two hours north of Belize City
- The site is NOT Wheel Chair friendly
- Gift shops on site for shopping (wood and stone products)
- Available to Cruise and overnight Guests
- For Cruise guests: the tour departs at the Cruise Terminal instruction for meeting point is sent on final confirmation.
- Any Special requests needed let us know and we will be happy to accommodate
- Tour departs from Belize City, Unless for a Private tour then we will be picking you up at your specified location
- Pick up location: Cruise Guest will be meet at the cruise port and will return to the cruise port with plenty of time before your last tender leaves
- Overnight Guest staying in Belize City, will be picked up at their Hotel, if you’re staying on the Cayes, the meeting point will be the Water taxi or the Municipal Air Strip in Belize City
- Contact us if the is pick up outside of Belize City area.