Cahal Pech Maya Ruins - "The Palace of Ticks"
Journey along the western highway passing thru scenic villages for 69 miles and arrive at the tourist town of San Ignacio: On the outskirts of the town travel up a hill to the Mayan city of Cahal Pech “Palace of Ticks”. Once at the site take a moment and inhale a fresh breath of air and look down at the nearby communities. Then start your hike through the undulated terrain for a few minutes and be amazed by the grand plazas and palaces that appear before you, which were built over 1800 years ago. A city that has the longest evidence of Mayan occupation in Belize: where many ceremonies and rituals took place. In most recent years Belize’s leading archaeologist Dr. Jaime Awe made astonishing discoveries of a grand royal burial that took place in the center of the largest plaza at Cahal Pech. Walk thru the narrow passages of the buildings, enter into rooms of royal places and then sit in the principal plaza and enjoy the same comfort that the elites did while listening to the rich history of Cahal Pech. Finally, visit the visitor’s center where you will be able to look at rich artifacts on display that was found at the site.
Notes for Cahal Pech Mayan Temples:
- Ruin is 1.5 hours away from Belize City
- Kid friendly
- Available to Cruise and overnight guests
- For Cruise Guests: the tour departs at the Cruise Terminal instruction for meeting point is sent on final confirmation.
- Any Special requests needed let us know and we will be happy to accommodate
- Tour departs from Belize City, Unless for a Private tour then we will be picking you up at your specified location
- Pick up location: Cruise Guest will be meet at the cruise port and will return to the cruise port with plenty of time before your last tender leaves
- Overnight Guest staying in Belize City, will be picked up at their Hotel, if you’re staying on the Cayes, the meeting point will be the Water taxi or the Municipal Air Strip in Belize City
- Contact us if the is pick up outside of Belize City area.