Actun Tunichil Muknal (ATM Cave)
Actun Tunichil Muknal (ATM) Cave is located in the Tapir Mountain Nature Reserve seven miles from the main highway at the village of Teakettle in the Cayo District. This is one of the most fascinating caves and Actun Tunichil Muknal means the “Cave of the Stone Sepulcher” named after the skeletal remains of a Mayan Princess was discovered in one of the chambers. This tour is a one hour drive from San Ignacio, once you arrive at the destination your guide will give you your helmet and head light for the tour.
The tour takes you on a trail where you will cross the river three times and there is abundance of wildlife species as the cave is within a National Park. The entrance to the cave has a natural formation of an hour glass where you swim in the clear cool and refreshing water. To enter the cave you swim a few feet and the remaining part of the tour is hiking, squeezing through rocks, and exploring the cave. This tour requires a level of physical fitness and is the most thrilling cave exploration experience in Belize!
Your guide will take you into” Xibalba” the Mayan Hell or the Mayan Underworld. Numerous ceramics and skeletal remains that you will see inside this cave are normally only seen in museums but here you have the first-hand experience of seeing these artifacts and remains. This tour is an adventure of a life time making it very unique and one of the most popular tours in the Cayo Area.
Notes for ATM CAVE Adventure:
- Absolutely NO Cameras are allowed inside the cave
- 1.5 hours Away From Belize City
- Extra Pair of socks MUST be brought along for this tour
- Must be in good physical shape to do this tour
- Any Special requests needed let us know and we will be happy to accommodate
- Tour departs from Belize City, Unless for a Private tour then we will be picking you up at your specified location
- Groups of 5 and above contact us for a group rate price
- Pick up location: Cruise Guest will be meet at the cruise port and will return to the cruise port with plenty of time before your last tender leaves
- Overnight Guest staying in Belize City, will be picked up at their Hotel, if you’re staying on the Cayes, the meeting point will be the Water taxi or the Municipal Air Strip in Belize City
- Contact us if the is pick up outside of Belize City area.