Altun Ha Maya Ruins - “Rock Stone Water/Pond”
Altun Ha Tour begins with an enjoyable Belize City Tour, filled with interesting history and culture. You get an opportunity to see Baron Bliss Light House, St. John’s Cathedral, the Old Belize Swing Bridge, down town Belize City and even the Central Bank of Belize where the largest jade object found at Altun Ha is being securely kept within its chambers. As you continue North of Belize unto the old Northern Highway for approximately 19 miles you will arrive at the Old Northern Road, 14 miles from there you will arrive at the ancient City of Altun Ha tucked away inside the Jungle. While travelling through these local communities you will be enlighten on the funny reasons for their existence.
Altun Ha Mayan Temples just 33 miles from Belize City was a small but surprisingly rich major ceremonial center occupied during the classic period. Walk through the same path of the Maya’s, amongst some of the mounds that have been partially excavated and restored by some of the locals and Dr. David Pendergast who did an extensive research from 1967 to 1974. Here in this city buried inside the Sun God Temple, which stand 54 feet from the plaza floor was where the largest carved jade object in the Mayan World was found as you travel back in time with history and feel the presence of an ancient civilization come alive; hike above some of its highest monumental structures where the elite families once occupied and enjoy a spiritual and panoramic view from above. Inhale the fresh air of the pristine green forest that surrounds you and soar with the spirits of the ancient Mayas that still preserves its pass. Your Guide will also be pointing out some of the local remedies of the rainforest used by the Mayans.
Altun Ha is a City of over 500 mounds with approximately 15 has been excavated; the city is surrounded by the thick broad leave forest which holds the secret of the Mayan civilization.
Altun Ha Temple has recently in 2014-2015 gone through some major upgrades including now a Wheelchair accessible restroom, a visitor center amongst other renovations. The plazas are flat and are wheel chair friendly. After the Tour of the 2 major plazas you will have the opportunity to shop some local wood crafts, which are hand made at the site. On the way back to Belize City we will be having lunch at a local restaurant, serving some tasty Belizean dishes. Then you will be making your way back to the departure point where your guide will ensure your safe and timely return. This tour is perfect for families of all ages.
Notes For Altun Ha Temples:
- Site is one hour north of Belize City
- The largest carved Jade object in the Mayan World was found here (The Jade Head Kinich Ahau)
- Wheel Chair and kids friendly
- Gift shops on site for shopping (wood and stone products)
- Available to Cruise and overnight Guests
- Cruise guests: The tour departs at the Cruise Terminal (instruction for meeting point is sent on final confirmation)
- Any Special requests needed just let us know and we will be happy to accommodate
- Tour departs from Belize City, Unless for a Private tour then we will be picking you up at your specified location
- Pick up location: Cruise Guest will be meet at the cruise port and will return to the cruise port with plenty of time before your last tender leaves
- Overnight Guest staying in Belize City, will be picked up at their Hotel, if you’re staying on the Cayes, the meeting point will be the Water taxi or the Municipal Air Strip in Belize City
Contact us if the is pick up outside of Belize City area.